Pages

Friday 15 June 2012

Barnacre

I've been in the UK for just over 5 weeks, and I cannot believe how fast the time as gone. It's been incredible really. And I almost feel as if I'm running out of time to do all the things I want to do! But anyways, I promised to talk about the farm.

It's not exactly the farm you're picturing though. No fields of wheat or cows in a big barn. They have two holiday cottages which they rent out, a trailer storage area, and a fishing lake. They also have a number of sheep, a ton of chickens, some goats and a donkey.

Purdy the Donkey

My accommodations were either in a tipi, or a trailer. I opted for the trailer. I also managed to get the only single bed and the room with a heater! There was running water and electricity, but no bathroom. We could go to the "fisherman's hut" or to the pool area. But since fisherman apparently aren't very interesting in aiming or keeping the bathroom clean in general, I usually used the one by the pool.



As for work, I did everything from helping put up barbed wire fencing, to cleaning cottages, to tearing down stables, to helping make concrete, to oiling wood window frames, to deconstructing and erecting scaffolding. Much of this was done in the dirt, mud, and rain.

This is where the stable was, and this picture is in the middle of the new one being built.


Maria showing off her muddy clothes - this is basically what we all looked like at the end of the day, or worse.

Work was from 9-5, but we did get a tea break at 11, and lunch at around 1:30, so the day was split up pretty well. We also got two days off, which was magnificent. It was nice to have the time to sleep in, and wear clean clothes!

Don't get the wrong impression though, I had an AMAZING time. The food was excellent. There was a pool and hot tub for after work. There was as much beer, wine and cider as I could drink. But most of all, the people there were incredible. Russell and Helen, who own the farm are wonderful people.

Also, there were many other helpers from around the world! When I arrived, there was a couple from Mexico, an Englishman from York, a guy from Hungary, and an American. By the time I left, there were some more Americans, a guy from Spain, a girl from Italy, two girls from France, and lastly a girl from Chile. I had so much fun hanging out with all of them, talking about traveling and languages, playing the time game, creating Barnacle Ball (basically pool volleyball with some extra rules), and so much more. They really made my experience at Barnacre.
Daniel - Enjoy Canada! Hopefully you can make it to the Island sometime
Chris - I know you'll enjoy wherever you end up, and I wish you the best. Thanks for all the games of Chrononauts!
Jody and Patrick - Good luck on the rest of your trip, and enjoy your cruise home!
Gary - I think I finally got your sense of humour! Thanks for making me laugh, and I hope you liked sleeping on my floor =) Good luck with the job search.
Mikel - Thanks for letting me speak Spanish at you while you're trying to learn English. I can't wait to visit San Sebastien some day - it looks beautiful! Lo siento para el lavado de tu móbil....
Maria - I had a wonderful time singing Taylor Swift with you, and I'm sure neither of us want to oil another window in our lives! Come visit me!
Rose, Hugoline, Floriane, Chris, and Tom - I hope you have as much fun at Barnacre as I did, and good luck on future travels!

Mikel and Maria at the beach (Tom and I went too)

My last dinner

Chris sporting his "asian" inspired look

Me and Maria <3

I miss you all, and I hope we can run into each other again some day!

And that basically sums up my farm time. I've just spent the last couple days with my Dad's cousin, and I will be heading to a B&B in the Yorkshire Dales tomorrow for another HelpX. I realize that I have some more updating to do.. but I'm going to keep the posts separate so you don't have 1000 pages to read at once!

2 comments:

  1. looks like a fabulous experience

    x0x0x0

    ReplyDelete
  2. and we have really enjoyed having you..and you know you are more than welcome to return x

    John and Lesley

    ReplyDelete